GoodElectricShaver is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Last Updated on October 6, 2022 by Danish M
It’s always good to take care of your skin and know the ways to shave properly so that you may have a comfortable shave and healthy skin. But you must also know that maintenance of your electric shaver is as much important in order to gain excellent performance.
Therefore, maintenance of the foils and blade of your shaver is quite important and it’s vital to know some habits that may cause damage to the blades and foils of your shaver.
If you’re looking to buy a new Electric shaver, then you must check out our top shavers list – Top Electric Razors List.
1. Overheating must not be ignored and the reason for overheating is that you keep your electric shaver on for a longer period of time that heats up the foil. In order to avoid friction between the foils that cause overheating, you must add some lubrication or oil to it.
2. You need to understand the foils of your electric shaver are made up of very thin material and when you put some extra pressure over these delicate metal foils while sharing the pressure is distributed across the grid that is quite thin. Using it lightly with less pressure can prevent your electric shaver foils from getting damaged.
3. If you see close to the head of the electric foil shaver it looks like a grid and when you shake or tap the electric shaver in the washbasin or in your palm in order to get rid of the water, hair, or residue. This causes the delicate grids on the head of the shaver to break.
4. It is advised to trim the long facial hair with the trimmer first before you shave it. In this way, the excess hair is trimmed which makes it easier for you to shave the remaining facial hair easily. That way you don’t need to put extra pressure on the head and foil of your electric shaver.
5. After you complete the cleaning, you may do the reassembling of the shaver’s parts. You may shake your shaver lightly in order to get rid of any excess water. Dry your electric shaver while placing it on a dry towel. After it dries out, you may also lubricate the blades for better performance and therefore, your shaver is ready for the next use.
6. It’s advised that you may clean the foils of your electric shaver with the brush. The simple and easiest method to clean the foil is by washing it under running tap water.
7. Don’t rush out while assembling the shaver’s head back. It is better to carefully reassemble the parts with patience so that the parts are properly assembled without causing any damage.
8. Another point that most users of electric shavers ignore is the importance of a protective cover. If you are traveling it is important that you use the protective cap in order to cover those delicate head and foil of the shaver that can easily get damaged. Damaged foils can give you irritation or cut your skin.
9. If you want to increase the life of your cordless electric shaver, it is important to clean it after every use.
10. Last but not least, you must prevent your shaver from dropping on the floor which can damage those delicate foils.
I use two methods to clean my electric foil shavers:
1. Use water as recommended by the manufacturer. I use this method when in a hurry.
2. Compressed gas duster can and Andis 12750 Cool Care Plus for clipper blades. First, the compressed gas does a great job blowing off cut hairs. Second, the Andis product cools, disinfects, lubricates, cleans and prevents rust. I use this method at least once per week.
Method 2 is the most effective at keeping the shaver in tip-top shape.